Gluten-Free Sweet Potato Crackers

Last Wednesday, one of the recipes on the list of awesome toddler finger-food snacks was sweet potato crackers.

The recipe I linked to ( and love!) is of course, not gluten-free so I thought hey, why don't I post the gluten-free version today?

It's not that much different really. I find that I have to put a little more flour - though that could be because of my tendency to use different, kinds of squash - and add some guar gum.

And speaking of subbing sweet potato for different kinds of squash, I used butter it squash in the crackers pictured. You could also use pumpkin or another winter squash. The flavor will vary, and of course the moisture content tends to be higher requiring more flour so keep that in mind when you play around with the recipe.

Gluten-Free Sweet Potato Crackers

1-1/2 to 1-3/4 cups flour mix
1/2 teaspoon guar gum
2-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon sugar
3 tablespoons butter
1 cup of sweet potato puree
coarse salt

If you have a kitchen Aid mixer, consider yourself among the blessed, and add the first six ingredients to the mixer bowl using the flat beater attatchment to mix until it takes on the apperance of bread crumbs.

If not, put the first six ingredients in a bowl and blend, preferably with a pastry blend until it begins to resemble crumbs.

Add in sweet potato and mix well. If the dough is still mega sticky, add more flour. You want the dough to be workable, not sticky.

Roll into a ball and refegerate for half an hour.

preheat oven to 350 and take dough out of the 'fridge. Roll dough between sheets of wax paper, or zip-top bags (my preference) to about 1/8 of an inch thick.

pressing it out with a tortilla press if you have one works really well. I don't have one, and use a cutting board instead. It's just like pressing tortilas.

So anyway, on to the next step. At this point, it should be really easy to peel the dough off the baggie. If it's not, then you need to add more flour.

I slide the dough directly onto a cookie sheet, and cut it with a pizza cutter, poke a few holes in it, and sprinkle it with some salt before popping it in the oven.

You could also use a cookie cutter.

The original recipes says to bake them on parchment paper, but I never do, and they never stick to the pan.

Also, the original has you turn the crackers during baking, but I always forget.

So in short, roll 'em, cut 'em, poke 'em, and salt them, then bake at 350 for roughly 15 minutes.

Enjoy!

Linked with: A Southerm Fairytale, Skip To My Lou, MIYMM, Tip Me Tuesday, Fat Tuesday, Hearth And Soul, Blessed With Grace, Tuesdays At The Table, WFMW, Crystal And Co., Allergy Free Wednesday, Real Food Wednesday, Frugally sustainable, Full Plate Thursday, GNOWFGLINS, Thrifty ThursdayFrugal Friday, Weekend Potluck, Sorta Crunchy, Favorite Things Friday, Feed Your soul, Sugar Me Up, Show And Tell, Sweet As Sugar Cookies, Food Adventure Friday Cast Party

Comments

Leave a comment! We love hearing from our readers!

Remember... Please be courteous and respectful of other people's opinions.

When you enter your email address for commenting it will remain private; we will not add you to any mailing lists or share your email address with anyone.

Comments on this entry are now closed.

Elise New | Nov 2, 2012, 3:41 PM

Glad you like it! The sweet potato gives them a great flavor doesn’t it? I’ve never used teff flour (but I want to!). mostly I use rice, but I also love the flavor of millet flour.

Rachael | Nov 2, 2012, 11:22 AM

I’m in LOVE. I tried this recipe with equal parts teff flour, brown rice flour, and potato starch.  Super delish, but I think maybe I’d like them better rolled out thinner and cooked a little less time…crunchy but not hard (mine were a little of both).  I’m so excited about this recipe and look forward to perfecting it in time to take BAGS home with me for Thanksgiving!  Thank you for de-glutining this recipe.  I’ll be following your blog from now on!

Tessa@ Tessa the Domestic Diva | Sep 12, 2012, 11:22 AM

no biggy…it happens to all of us!!  Making the crackers right now….

Elise New | Sep 12, 2012, 8:38 AM

Sorry! I thought I had all my link-backs worked out!

Tessa@ Tessa the Domestic Diva | Sep 11, 2012, 9:11 PM

I have pinned these to try, my little guy loves crackers, and ones with vegetables sound good to me!  PS, i got to my features late today so I couldn’t ask you in advance, but next time provide a ink back so i can feature things you share!!

Penniless Parenting | Sep 11, 2012, 3:25 AM

Thank you so much for this recipe! I can’t wait to try it!

April @ The 21st Century Housewife | Sep 10, 2012, 3:58 PM

What a lovely way to use sweet potatoes - they must give the crackers a wonderful flavour! Thank you for sharing this delicious gluten free recipe - what a great snack!.

Laura @ Frugal Follies | Sep 8, 2012, 8:31 PM

Those look great - such lucky kids to get such yummy and healthy finger food!

Thanks for linking up with Frugal Food Thursday at Frugal Follies!

Winnie | Sep 8, 2012, 2:37 PM

I really like sweet-potato and these crackers look wonderful
Never tried something like this

Miz Helen | Sep 8, 2012, 11:03 AM

These look like great tasting Crackers, I will sure give them a try.  Hope you are having a fabulous weekend and thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.
Come Back Soon!
Miz Helen

Diane Balch | Sep 7, 2012, 2:32 PM

Terrific idea and I am currently wheat free, so I need some recipes. Thanks for sharing this on foodie friday.

Shari | Sep 5, 2012, 12:59 PM

Nice! These sound like a great way to sneak something healthy into my kids! *insert evil laughter* Definitely trying these out soon!